Come Join the NGHS Chorus!
We would like to invite you to join one of Georgia’s Best Music Departments!
Students, this is a very exciting time, as you look forward to moving on to high school. It can also be confusing as you decide which classes to take and begin to shape the direction of your future. Why not consider making Chorus a part of your high school career? Have a look at the many exciting opportunities that await you as a member of the North Gwinnett Chorus!
Classes and Activities
North Gwinnett Chorus classes are open to anyone, whether you’ve been singing all through Middle School or this is your first time in an organized vocal group. Here are some highlights of the many activities you could be involved in as a member of the North Gwinnett Chorus:
- Annual Chorus picnic and field day including lots of fun competition between the classes.
- Every other year, the Chorus offers a group trip involving sight-seeing as well as singing. Recent destinations include Washington D.C., New York City, and Disney World.
- Groups from the North Gwinnett Chorus are often asked to sign for various community events such as the Grand Opening of the Suwanee City Hall, Suwanee Christmas in the Park, and the Toys for Tots Kick-Off at the State Capital.
- Students have the opportunity to audition for the Georgia All-State Chorus and the All-State Reading Choir, held each year in Savannah.
Awards and Achievements
The North Gwinnett Chorus is one of the most successful choral programs in the state of Georgia.
- All NGHS Chorus classes are consistently awarded “Superior” ratings each year at LGPE (Large Group Performance Evaluations).
- North Gwinnett always has one of the largest groups of students attending All-State Chorus of any school in the state of Georgia.
- North Gwinnett has sent as many as 9 out of only 100 students state wide to the All-State Reading Choir.
- Over the past 6 years, nine students from the North Gwinnett Chorus have participated in the Governor’s Honors Program for voice. GHP selects fewer than 30 vocal majors from across the state each year.
Academic Requirements and Commitments
- Chorus is an academic elective. Many colleges require 4 academic elective credits for admission, and in order to graduate “with distinction” you must have at least 2 academic electives. Chorus fulfills this requirement.
- Health/PE and many other courses are offered in summer school and on-line. Many students who want to free up space in their four-year plan choose to take Health/PE before their ninth grade year.
- The after-school commitment required for chorus is minimal. We have four major concerts each year (held in the evening), and one afternoon rehearsal per concert. Optional and extra-curricular activities may require additional outside-of-school commitments.
If you need more information or have any questions about the North Gwinnett Chorus program, please contact Mrs. Amanda Varner, Chorus Director.